Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation - Simone Elkeles


Title : How to Ruin a Summer Vacation #1
Series : How To Ruin Series
Author : Simone Elkeles
Publisher : Llewellyn Publications
Date Read : January 16,2013
Synopsis :
Moshav? What’s a moshav? Is it “shopping mall” in Hebrew? I mean, from what Jessica was telling me, Israeli stores have the latest fashions from Europe. That black dress Jessica has is really awesome. I know I’d be selling out if I go with the Sperm Donor to a mall, but I keep thinking about all the great stuff I could bring back home. Unfortunately for 16-year-old Amy Nelson, “moshav” is not Hebrew for “shopping mall.” Not even close. Think goats, not Gucci. Going to Israel with her estranged Israeli father is the last thing Amy wants to do this summer. She’s got a serious grudge against her dad, a.k.a. “Sperm Donor,” for showing up so rarely in her life. Now he’s dragging her to a war zone to meet a family she’s never known, where she’ll probably be drafted into the army. At the very least, she’ll be stuck in a house with no AC and only one bathroom for seven people all summer—no best friend, no boyfriend, no shopping, no cell phone… Goodbye pride—hello Israel. YALSA 2007 Teens’ Top Ten "A breezy read." —Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books “Fresh, fun and fabulous! Guaranteed NOT to ruin your summer vacation!” —Mari Mancusi, author of Boys that Bite

Review :

Amy Nelson is half American and half Israeli. She doesn't get to know her father so well because her biological father Ron never raised her. It's only her mother, but Ron makes sure that Amy knows about him. Her parents never married, so she sees herself as an illegitimate daughter of Ron and her mother. The condition of feeling unwanted and abandoned makes Amy hates her Ron. Thus, when Ron asked her to spend her summer with him at Israel, she refused to go. However, after being forced by her mother and hearing the news that her grandmother who she barely knows is lying sick on bed in Israel, she decides to go.

By the time she got there, she still hates her father, but loves her grandmother. Her relatives are so welcome to her, but her cousin O'Snot is not so friendly. Then she met O'Snot's friends including Avi, the guy who looks extremely hot but kind of rude and cold at the same time to Amy. Since Amy knows Avi, she couldn't help but always screams, runs, and do everything that only embarrassed her in front of him. On the other hand, Avi seems doesn't mind and finds it fascinating. 

"You're the first person to make the pain of my brother's death bearable." He kissed me, right here in the car on the side of the barren desert road. "When I'm with you, I'm whole again."

Amy has a boyfriend at her country, but she finds another love in Israel. So is it just a summer fling or will it last after she returns home? =)

I admit at first I'm a bit annoyed with Amy. She is being too hard on Ron and she acts like a spoiled brat, but after getting to know her better, I changed my mind. I love how Amy always talk with mutt as if he's human. Mutt is so adorable and loves to cuddle with Amy. 

This book tells about friendship, love, religion, relationship between Amy and her father Ron, and discuss a little bit of political and social issues. It's great, though. 
"Being Jewish is more in your heart than in your mind. For some, being Jewish is strictly following the laws and customs of our ancestors. For others, it's being part of a community. Religion is very personal. It will always be there for you if you want or need it. You can choose to embrace it or decide your life doesn't need it. Nobody can force religion on you or it's not real."
Simone Elkeles is one of my favorite authors. She never cease to amuse me with her best writing skill. It's been two years now since I read two series of hers, Perfect Chemistry and Leaving Paradise. And to tell you the truth, none of those books are bad written. I love Simone's writing just like Jennifer L.Armentrout's. It's witty, unique and addictive. To top it off, the writing is so well-written. Just give me Simone or Jennifer's books then I'll laugh out loud. Overall, I love this book, and definitely going to read the rest of the series =)

Rating : 4/5
Series : How to Ruin
1) How to Ruin a Summer Vacation - Simone Elkeles
2) How to Ruin My Teenage Life - Simone Elkeles
3) How to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation - Simone Elkeles

1 comment:

  1. Aku pikir ini tadi lanjutannya Perfect Chemistry.
    Tapi si SE ini demen bgt ya bikin character yg peranakan gitu.

    ReplyDelete