Friday, January 4, 2013

Taking Chances - Molly McAdams

Title : Taking Chances
Author : Molly McAdams
Synopsis :
Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University. Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn't expecting yet, and others she never knew she was missing. She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy. Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything. Due to sexual situations and language, this is Mature YA/New Adult. Recommended for ages 17+

Review :
Harper is a gorgeous girl whose Dad doesn't care anything about her. She was raised among military soldiers and know nothing about girly things. His father is very strict and you can judge how strict he is by the way Harper called him "Sir" instead of "father". When Harper finally moved from her house to dorm for college, Harper couldn't be more happier, finally she will start a new life without Sir. She left everything behind including her best friend, Carter.

When she arrived at dorm, she met her new roommate Bree. Bree is so lovely and invites her to go to the party with her. One of my favorite thing about Bree and Harper is the fact that they don't share blood but their relationship are ticker than blood. Harper met Chase, Bree's brother for the first time at that party. The first impression is not really good since there's always a woman or two sitting on his lap and make out with him. But you can tell that they have a thing for each other.

"There's just something about you that makes guys go crazy wanting to take care of you."

Harper think Chase is a trouble, a big fat trouble for her. But then she met Brandon, and everything goes crazy, she fall in love with Brandon. 
Whose team are you on? Chase? Brandon? or maybe Carter?

I myself even had a hard time to decide whose team I am on. Just like Harper, I know Chase first before I get to know Brandon. And just by the name of his already made me swoon, Chase~. I think I'm in love with Chase, but then Brandon came and ruined my boyfriend list. Then Carter came and ruined mostly everything (not my heart of course, but his friendship with Harper)

Is it a sin to love two men at once?
But men aren't a bar of chocolate, they can't be shared.

Is it acceptable for you to cheat on your boyfriend and in love with his best friend?
That's something that I wish to never happen in my love life story. But it happened to Harper's though. And it's not a mystery case or rubik's cube to solve, but it's someone's heart that we are about to break. I feel really bad for Brandon. He loves Harper dearly. Although the feeling is mutual, but Harper loves Chase too. It is so complicated, isn't it? To tell you the truth, I even got a headache when I read this. Although I'm on Chase's team, but I am no better than Harper, because I'm trapped in Brandon's charm as well. I really wish I had a better explanation for this, but maybe you could just read it by yourself and tell me if you feel the same as me or not.


This is a very LONG story which I like but I don't feel the necessity in telling the whole thing because it will just make the story less beautiful. However, what's done is done. I don't want to spoil anything but this book has torn my heart apart. But I'm actually find my smile back when things are getting better and this book show me a great relationship among unrelated sisters and families which for me is the greatest thing in this novel. It's not a raw relationship but it's the one that has gone through a lot of things and finally could be together.


Rating : 3.5/5

PS : I was planning to give 4 but things got mixed up here and there, so I gave a final rating which is 3.5.
I had prepared myself to read the cheating part and even to the worst thing that could possibly happen, but I wasn't prepared to lose you ;__;

No comments:

Post a Comment